Friday, April 22, 2011

Time for a new computer, car and life

Everything is breaking. All at once. Ok maybe it's only two things, but they are the pivotal ones in my life. You read last week about my computer woes - they're not over! After re-imaging Windows 7, my computer still fails to start some random services necessary for simple things like connecting to a printer. Thought this might be corrected after a Service Pack 1 update, but fantastically my computer fails to install and configure that because some files are corrupt somewhere. I would probably need some kind of computer science person to confirm this, but my inclination is to assume I have a hardware issue since this happened immediately after a hard drive wipe and new image. Great.

Also my car muffler rusted away. Like it literally had cracks and holes and was much louder than is appropriate for my non-souped out Cavalier. In preparation for my trek home this weekend, I took it in and had that replaced this morning. Wasn't too expensive, but I declined replacement of some other exhaust parts that will probably be necessary within the next year. It sucks because I just had to replace my catalytic converter a few months ago (which Dad was really nice and paid for). I think I am going to take Dad's advice and start considering the idea of getting a new car after I start my job. I'm sure this one has some more life left in it, but if things keep rusting away and breaking, I am just going to keep spending money keeping it alive. It definitely gave me a lot of good years and fond memories, but maybe it's time we parted ways.

Aside from my above complaints, life is great. I just returned from Pesach with the family which was so much fun. It was great to see everybody and catch up, as usual, but this year I think was especially cool because it seems like everybody is entering a new phase of their life. I'm graduating, Kara and Joe are starting to look at houses and settling down, and Mom just retired. It's really weird to think about where everybody will be this time next year. Hopefully next Pesach all the cousins will come and it will be even more fun.

Also Nana gave me this really cool Mezzuzah for my new apartment. She bought it in Israel on a trip with Papa for their anniversary in 1972. It's really cool and unique looking and it's really special to me because of where it came from. I think I will keep it all my life and move it around to each new place I live, and hopefully even turn it into one of my first family heirlooms.

1 comment:

  1. Wait, aren't YOU some kind of computer science person?

    I love your mezzuzah. It's awesome. And it will be perfect for your NEW APARTMENT!!!

    ReplyDelete