Seriously, I'm going to start blogging again. Maybe. Sort of. I'll try. This summer we (my blog and I) took a sabbatical from posting to work as an intern at a software development company in Nashua, NH. It was both enjoyable and interesting for us, and we feel that it was a much more practical use of our time than blogspot.com. Granted, we could have done both, but the posts would have been repetitive complaints of frustration that were in no way indicative of the job for us overall. Ok, now we're done with this dual narration.
Back to RPI at long last! I moved in last Thursday and things have been great since. Reuniting with Adam and the group was awesome, and we threw a sweet White-Trash themed party last Saturday that seemed to be a hit.
Classes started this week and so far so good. I'm taking Intro to Literature, Computer Organization (again), Models of Computation, and Database Systems. Right now I'm in that early in the semester phase where everything makes sense and I'm completely enjoying all of them (okay, except for comporg). Intro to Lit will be an easy A and the class seems pretty outspoken and interesting. Models of Computation (henceforth referred to as ModComp) doesn't seem too hard either, a pretty standard abstract compsci class focusing on languages, compilers, and computability. Database Systems seemed intimidating at first, mostly because the only students I recognized were TAs from previous classes I've taken, but so far it doesn't seem that hard, and is actually really interesting. I'm sort of learning the background to a lot of what I did at work this past summer. I certainly didn't learn this stuff already, but I used a lot of it blindly and it will be cool to actually make sense of it. I don't really have much to say about CompOrg. It is the same class it was last semester, and I will probably hate it just the same, but with any luck it should be easier the second time around.
Other schedule-relevant news is that I got two TA jobs! That's right, two. Meaning 8 hours a week. Generating $80 a week (untaxed, yay full-time student benefits!). Having a small income is a huge plus.
One week into the semester feels pretty good. We've done some fun stuff. On Wednesday Adam, Sarah, Matt, and I went geocaching. Do you know what that is? I didn't. One of the many plusses to having an outdoorsy boyfriend - it was really fun! We looked up a few different locations and found the first one really easily. It was an ammo case filled with a log and a bunch of little trade items. We took a ping-pong ball with a smile face on it and left a mini alan wrench set. The second one we looked for took forever to find. Probably because we parked a half mile away and on the opposite side of a river. When we finally found it, it was about twenty feet from a parking lot and was just a log to sign. Totally anti-climactic, but really fun. I hope we get to go again while it's still warm out.
wow. geocatching may be the nerdiest thing you have ever done.
ReplyDeleteI love your blog!! I'm glad its back. do you still like the layout? I could always give it a revamp...
database systems sounds awesome!
a revamp would be awesome. almost as awesome as geocaching :P
ReplyDeleteAaaaand she's back! Welcome back to the blogsphere Nikki! Although your first paragraph sounds like you're having a bit of an identity crisis. Or maybe it's your blog with the identity crisis, hard to tell. ;-)
ReplyDeleteGeocaching - I'm with Kara on this one! A totally nerdy, yet totally 21st century past time!
Love, Mom