Tuesday, January 27, 2009

How many majors?

At long last, I finally met with a Management adviser today! It turns out that I need to take a TON of classes if I want to do a dual major. There are ten required courses in the school of management that I would need to take plus an additional four for the finance concentration. After mapping this out semester by semester, I figured out that even if I take some classes this summer I would still graduate at least one semester late. If studying abroad is more restrictive of what classes I can take, it might even be a whole year. Meeting with a study abroad adviser is my next step. Graduating a semester late might not be a big deal, but I'm not sure if I'm prepared to take another whole year. The other, far easier, options would be to minor instead of major. I can do a minor in Financial Technology by taking only four extra classes or a heavy minor in Financial Engineering and Risk Analytics by taking six extra classes. Either minor would be completely doable and studying abroad would not be an issue at all. I could even get a minor in Economics as well.

It seems like dual majoring could be too much work but at the same time it seems stupid not to get two degrees for almost the price of one when I have the opportunity to. How much of a difference will it make to an employer to see B.S. in Computer Science and Management with Concentration in Finance as opposed to B.S. in Computer Science, Minor in Financial Engineering and Risk Analytics? Do both of those sound ridiculously long and stupid to you too?

Bah! I need guidance!

1 comment:

  1. Erin --My 2 cents for what it’s worth.....

    I'd do the minor. The double major just doesn't offer that much more on the job market -- also - if you're thinking grad school as a future possibility -- then your time is much better served in the grad school arena vs. an extra year of undergrad. Add studying abroad into the mix -- which I would bump to the top of the list for job marketability and experiential gain -- and the major w/ a minor seems ideal.

    Love,
    Aunt Barb

    ReplyDelete