Friday, December 26, 2008

Annoying Customer Blues

Along with Kara, I'm also one of the few people who doesn't have today off. I love being able to work when I come home, but I dread the Christmas season. I always wind up working the 24th and the 26th, naturally because I'm the employee without Christmas plans and that's fine, but these happen to be the worst days of the year to work. Christmas Eve day is always wicked busy because of last minute shoppers, and while it's great that we have business, I easily tire of repeating the same shpiel about upgrading phones.

Annoying Customer: "I don't want to turn this on yet though, it's going to be a surprise."
Me: "I'm sorry, but in order for you to get the upgrade discount, you need to activate it in-store. We can reactive the old phone afterwards, but we need to do this first."
Annoying Customer: "I don't get it, I can't just buy the phone?"
Me: "You'd have to pay retail price for that, which is much more expensive and unnecessary. Maybe you can explain the phone shut off as a billing issue you've resolved."
Annoying Customer: "I don't get it, I can't just buy the phone?"

Today I will face the tedious task of re-activating all these phones I sold and deactivated on Wednesday. It hasn't happened yet today, but I guarantee there will be at least two or three returns as well, which are even more annoying than sales. But hey, what can you do?

I always find it really awkward when customers know me and I don't remember ever having met them. This girl around my age was in the store for a while earlier, waiting for her mom, and started chatting with me. She knew my name and that I graduated a year above her at Methuen High, but also who I dated in high school and who I was friends with. She then asked me to friend her on facebook, and I felt bad having to ask what her name was. It's just weird because it's not the first time this has happened and I always thought I was pretty anonymous in Methuen.

I guess I'm going to get back to my book until the store gets busy again. I'm reading Pillars of the Earth and it's really pretty awesome. Kara should read it.

1 comment:

  1. yeah customers suck. that's one thing that I really appreciate about my job. I never have to talk to anyone. My phone rarely rings and there are no customers/clients/etc that I have anything to do with.

    I really want to read Pillars of the Earth. I've feared it because it is so thick, but I think I'm finally ready... well maybe after I finish my current book and then the next one in my lineup.

    ReplyDelete