Tuesday, October 7, 2008

English breakfast tea beats coffee

I've discovered that I like tea better than coffee in the morning. It's lighter in my stomach and doesn't make me feel like crap afterwards. I had economics at 8am this morning and for the first time ever, my professor actually talked a little bit about current events. He spoke like an economist, in that he didn't actually say much of substance, but it's progress. Someone asked about the recent drop in Dow Jones and he talked about how that wasn't necessarily representative of the economy as a whole and yada yada yada. I think I learned more about the actual situation from talking to Nick than I did from his class. What I've gathered from the combination of the two is that the problem was a result of people borrowing money from companies and not being able to pay it back. The companies had taken the debt they were owed, repackaged it, and used it for something else not knowing it was worth nothing because the borrowers couldn't pay it back. The bailout prevents the debt from being repossessed and people losing their houses (since most of this debt was mortgages). So it solves the short term problem, but in the long run will cause inflation. The drop in Dow Jones means that people aren't investing in big companies as much which means that the companies won't grow at their normal pace and the economy is going to suffer. I'm trying my best to stay up to date and informed, so I hope someone can correct me if I'm off.

On another note, this weekend is a three day weekend, which is awesome except for the fact that all my friends are going home :( Maybe their plans will fall through... no, that's mean. I'm kidding, mostly.

I wish RPI didn't wait until November to turn on the heat. I'm sitting at my desk with a blanket around me to keep warm. It's a good thing I spend most evenings at RAHPs where there's heat, otherwise this complaining section of my blog would be much longer.

No comments:

Post a Comment