Thursday, September 11, 2008

One day I will destroy Cygwin with my mind

Today will start the inevitable series of angry Thursday blogs that result from my inability to finish my computer science homework. I started it early, like Saturday I think. I got through the bulk of it and went to office hours with a few simple questions that resulted in this whole mess of crap. I think my biggest complaint is that they make us compile the homeworks in g++. Um, did anyone notice that this is a course in C++?? Like seriously. I have no issues writing any of my code in Microsoft Visual Studio. It compiles with 18 warning, but no errors, and runs smoothly. Then I go to compile in Cygwin and I get all these errors about needing constant variables (yes, there is such a thing) and then fixing those errors creates more errors. My TA and I spent about a half hour today trying to figure out why my program wasn't reading an input file, only to realize that it was because I opened it twice. Now that I fixed all the errors, I need to somehow create a table that is 13 columns wide despite the fact that neither Notepad nor Wordpad can read a text file that wide. Like seriously, was it really necessary to assign a homework this nit-picky in week two? I guess the moral of the story is I should suck it up and start using Cygwin for my assignments despite the fact that Visual Studio makes everything 100 times easier.
And to make matters worse, I have an accounting quiz in an hour.
The good news is that Nick says he can get my (Kara's) music off my new ipod and on to my computer so I can format it without losing everything. Something about reading the files on Linux instead of Windows. Having nerdy friends is awesome. I hope it works.
Ok, ok, I'll stop blogging and start studying for accounting.

No comments:

Post a Comment