Last semester I started reading this five book series called Earth's Children by Jean Auel. It takes place roughly 30,000 years ago, the period of time when Neanderthals and Cro-Magnons (early humans) coexisted. The heroine of the series is Ayla, a Cro-Magnon who was orphaned as a toddler and adopted by a Clan of Neanderthals. The five books tell the story of her being cast out of the Clan and her search for a place to call home. It really is better than I'm describing it. I got maybe 3/4 of the way through the third novel before putting it aside to study for finals, and then I guess I forgot about it. I picked it back up yesterday and I have immediately been drawn back into this series. After finishing that book, I started the fourth. At this point Ayla is eighteen, and has just left the camp of the Mammoth Hunters where she and her love-interest Jondalar lived for about year, getting to know people of her kind. They are now on a Journey back to his home, hoping that Ayla will find acceptance and not resistance due to her upbringing.
I always forget how much I like reading until I get back into it. I can't wait to meet the people they find along their way.
Clearly I haven't had much going on outside the pages of my book, since that's the first thing I wrote about. The two sets of plans I had for this weekend fell through. Vermont had a lack of interest or ability to go, and Six Flags got rained out. What a bummer. We're rescheduling the latter for a weekday though, so maybe with shorter lines it will be better anyway.
Next weekend I visit Kara! I can't wait. I just looked at pictures of Kate's visit, and it made me more excited for mine. I'm also looking forward to bringing Kara the art that we recently got back from the FrameKing. It looks great!
Most importantly, I can't wait to see the fat cat!
camp of the mammoth hunters eh?
ReplyDeletethis summer i've read more than i have in years. with so much reading in college. i got sorta turned off to reading for fun, but now that i'm done with school i have this whole list of books that i can't wait to read.
you should add the facebook application about what books you're reading/have read/want to read. i have it at the bottom of my page.
AND I CAN'T WAIT FOR THIS WEEKEND!!