I went skydiving today. While Mom and Dad feel that this was a stupid move, I disagree. It was the most exhilarating thing I've ever done. Too bad they won't let me go again.
We took a ground course where the instructor explained to us what would happen while in the air and exactly what we're supposed to do. We went up two at a time, Nick and I first, then Lauren and her friend Josh who took us. We wore harnesses and while in the air were strapped to an instructor who controlled the jump for us. We went up 9000ft and jumped out, free-fell for 4000ft, and at 5000ft I pulled the cord for my parachute. Of course, if I hadn't my instructor would have, and if he hadn't the emergency chute would automatically deploy at 3000ft. It was the coolest thing ever. We were instructed that the only important thing we really have to do is arch our backs. Pulling the chute cord is not necessary because the instructor can do it for you if you freak, but you need to arch your body so that you fall face down, and don't turn over in the air. My instructor picked me because I had the best arch when practicing.
When we hit 9000ft I opened the door, and Greg the instructor said "Are you ready to skydive?" and I was so scared I had to force myself to yell "hell yeah!" I put my feet on the step and he yelled "Ready, set, arch!" and pushed us out. Free falling was scary. I've never moved so fast before. I had an altimeter on my wrist and had to keep checking until we reached 5000ft, and then gave my instructor the signal and pulled the cord. The cord isn't attached to anything, so you're supposed to hang on to it, but when my chute opened I realized my hand was empty. Luckily, Greg the instructor had it and I didn't have to spend $30 replacing it. Falling with the parachute open was wicked cool. There are steering toggles so you can turn around and land in the right place. I got to steer for a few seconds, and it was awesome. I landed on my butt and the first thing I said was "Oh my god, I want to do it again!". It was so awesome.
Maybe Mom and Dad will reconsider their independent "This was your last time" responses to my experience. I loved it.
oh my god...
ReplyDeletei want to go.
jenn
dude...seriously....awesome.
ReplyDelete