Monday, January 28, 2008

I really like computer science. Clearly the women in our family are way too much alike. Mom is a dance major turned computer science, and Kara is a journalism major building websites. I am very seriously considering abandoning the math major idea and going into compsci. I really like the logic of the commands and even though my class at this point is still an introduction (we just learned if, else logic), I can see how when it gets more complicated I will enjoy the problem solving aspect of the subject. I think there are a lot of options in the field and I'm really interesting in learning more about it.
I had my first quiz last week and got an 18/20. Though we've only gotten the grades and not the tests back, I am almost positive that the points I got off were due to me consistently thinking the sum of 4 and 2 is 8 when converting binary to decimal numbers. Extremely gay, but atleast I understand the concept.
Biology is a harder class for me because it involves more memorization than conceptual ideas, but I am still enjoying it. For the first part of the semester this course deals with genes and evolution, which I find much more interesting than cells and microbiology in general. Coincidentally, I recently started reading "Clan of the Cave Bear" by Jean Auel and the two are overlapping very interestingly. We haven't had any tests or quizzes yet by which to judge my performance, but I am getting full credit on all the essay assignments we get for homework and understanding the lectures pretty easily, so I think I will enjoy this class as well.
There is less to say about my two math classes. I can handle the coursework easily, and I still love to work with numbers and functions, but it's hard for me to see myself pursing math now that I have developed stronger interests in my other classes. I am sure that I will continue to use math in whatever major I choose and I'm sure that what I am learning in these classes will be important and applicable, but they are not my most interesting classes. Two out of four ain't bad.

The bad news is that my iPod and I are no longer friends. Conflicting interests I guess. I want it to play music for me, it wants to only display an error symbol and the website for apple support. I suppose I will call apple today and try to straighten out our disagreement.

2 comments:

  1. i should have been a computer science major.

    tell me if you can do this assignment: http://www.cs.nyu.edu/courses/spring08/V22.0380-001/assign1.html

    its the "programming review" for my Flash class, but since i never took any programming, I'M SCREWED.

    ReplyDelete