Monday, November 5, 2007

Let me explain my frustration. Right now I am basically undecided as to whether I should be a scientist or an engineer. Career-wise, I know that engineering is more practical. A big part of me feels like it would be a waste to go to an engineering school and not get an engineering degree which would result in a wider possible career field. It's common sense. A degree in the science department would put me in a good place to go to graduate school and continue a career in academia, but that's not what I want. I want to leave school in four years with a high paying salary. With that said, it seems evident that engineering makes more sense. Honestly, I'm just not sure if I can do it. The engineering curriculum is so much harder than the sciences, it's unbelievable. And if I'm having trouble with my current classes, how could I handle taking CAD or IEA (a statics class that is described as physics on crack, but twice as hard). I'm afraid that if I can't do it I'll have wasted too many credits to switch back and will have gotten poor grades in a difficult class that I didn't have to take anyway. But if I do want to do this then I need to start taking the above core classes very soon because they are prerequisites to other classes I need to take in subsequent years. So, I basically need to decide sooner than I would have liked.
I figure I can take Multvariable Calc, PhysicsII, CompSci, and Intro to Bio next semester since all but intro to bio are required for both science and engineering. intro to bio is required for science and can count as one of my science electives for engineering, but will most likely prevent me from having enough credits to do a dual major. The other option is to take IEA if I can commit either to engineering or to possibly wasting a credit on a difficult class. What I haven't even gotten into is the fact that study abroad classes do not count towards my major and will further inhibit me from being able to do everything that I want to do.
I register for classes Thursday at 1:30. I have 75 hours to make up my mind.

edit: I've narrowed down my choices, to some extent. After reading the engineering and science sections of the course catalogue, I've decided that I'm really interested in operations research and using mathematical models to make things more efficient. I think the whole concept really follows how my mind works and how I like to organize things in my head. There is a concentration in the applied mathematics curriculum that is focused on operations research, which if I paired with computer science could be very interesting a hopefully applicable to a career field.
The other option is Decision Sciences and Engineering Systems, a school in the engineering department that offers a bachelor's degree in industrial and management engineering. This program combines the quantatative side of operations research as offered in the math department with concepts of manufacturing, service systems engineering, and industrial engineering methods. The curriculum forces a business approach with management and economics classes as well. The downside is that I will not have enough free credits to dual major, but the upside is that the study abroad program is stronger in the school of engineering than in the school of science.
I think that either of these majors paired with a minor in Indistrial/Organizational Psychology (to make use of my required Humanities courses) would hopefully look appealing to an employer. Now the question is which one.

I won't kid myself. Engineering makes more sense... it just looks so hard and I really don't know if I can do it.

1 comment:

  1. ok, so from reading your past few entries about course selection, ive come to the following conclusion:

    maybe you shouldnt worry so much about a double major if it will prevent you from studying abroad, doing internships, or taking enough time to decide what you really want to do.

    the likelyhood is that you will probably change your mind, even if you think youve figured it out this time.

    the other likelyhood is that an employer will be more impressed with good grades, internships, and the fact that you went to RPI than he will be with a double major.

    but if you do want to double major, you really only need to pick one of them now, and leave yourself room to choose the other one as you get farther into college.

    ReplyDelete