Sunday, November 4, 2007

I've spent a fair amount of the weekend using Excel, RPI Scheduler, and the Course Catalogue to try to figure out what I want to do with my life. To put it simply, it's not going well. I can't make up my mind about anything and when I do I second guess it. I started out thinking "Hey, I'll dual major math and physics." I worked it all out, found just enough room for every class without overloading myself, and then I started to think about computer science with computational mathematics. This combination gave me an easier set of courses, but is less interesting to me. In my quest to find a concentration of applied physics that was interesting to me and applicable to a job field, I came back to the thought that crosses my mind whenever I think about majors. Why am I not an engineer? I'm not because I didnt apply as one, and now I've convinced myself to stick with what I started with. But I'm having second thoughts. And if I don't make up my mind soon I will justbe wasting credits on classes I dont have to take. I just feel like I can't decide without taking the classes and I can't take the classes without deciding. College is frustrating

2 comments:

  1. are there anymore core classes you can take that apply to more than one major?

    computer science is cool. i should have majored in that..

    dont worry erin. youll get a job and everything will work out ok in the end.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's way too early in your college career to be so frustrated! You shouldn't have to decide, after half a semester, what you want to do yet.

    I suggest you take a course that helps you decide. If you end up using it as an elective, so be it. And if you end up with a single major or no minor, so be it again! I'll call you tonight.

    Love, Mom ;)

    ReplyDelete