I register for classes on November 8th. Conveniently, some RPI programming geek a few years back made an application called RPI Scheduler that holds a database of all current classes and times they are held and can generate several possible schedules for you in minutes. I played with it a little yesterday and narrowed down my choices to three core classes I will definately take, and I'm undecided on the fourth. I'm taking Introduction Differential Equations, Physics II, and Introduction to Biology. Regardless of my major, I will need to take Intro to Bio and DiffEQ, and Physics II is something I want to explore and decide if I want to dual major math with physics. Looking through the RPI Course Catalogue I realized that it is very easy to dual two sciences, it's almost stupid not to. I'm almost positive that I'm going to do math and something else, possibly physics if Physics II doesnt own me. Electricity and Magnetism will probably be the death of me. As for my fourth class, I have a few choices I am flip-flopping between. I could take Computer Science, which is another core class that I have to take regardless of what my major is. It would be good to get it out of the way, but could be a lot of work and I also have to take 5 more electives in the Humanities and Social Sciences eventually anyway. I could take another 1000 level course which is the difficulty of the General Psychology class I'm taking currently. This would fill a credit with an easy course so that I can focus on the more important subjects. However, it almost seems like a waste to take unrelated electives for an easy A rather than electives in the same concentration to eventually get a minor. What I am thinking about doing is taking another Psychology course next semester which would put me halfway to getting a minor in Psych. While I realize that Psych and Math couldn't be less related, (according to my psych professor) a minor like this would make me seem well rounded and favorable to an employer. Since I have to take 6 Humanities credits, and 4 gives you a minor in psych (only one of them having to be a difficult 4000 level) it seems too easy not to. The only downside to doing this is that I will have to take a 2000 level course, which will require more work. Therefore, the choices are these:
- Computer Science: heavy workload, core class out of the way
- Non-psych 1000 level Humanities Course: easy A, though unrelated to anything
- 2000 level Psych Course: heavier workload, halfway to a minor
Suggestions or opinions are welcome.
I had a physics exam yesterday that only went ok. I think I may have messed up a few of the multiple choice questions (worth 6 points each) and the larger problem worth 25 points made no sense to me in terms of physics so I used calculus and hopefully did it correctly. I think I find out my score on monday.
I'm sure my rants about courses and tests are not quite as interesting as Kara's blog, but lay off, atleast I'm writing!
quite to the contrary, your blog is very interesting!
ReplyDeletei say go for the psych class.
i too am registering for classes, except im at the opposite end of the colelge spectrum. im done everything for my majors and have only electives left to take. believe me, if you do the harder classes now, you will appreiate it later.