Thursday, December 10, 2009

House Hunters

So from now until and perhaps one or two days after I sign my lease, this blog is going to be an apartment hunting blog.

Sarah and I have decided that now is the time to start looking for a place to live next year. Not only are we both completely and utterly sick of North Hall, but RPI has actually revoked squatters' rights this year, so we couldn't stay if we wanted to. For those of you who are normal and do not quite understand what I mean by squatters' rights, it is not the right to stoop or hunch over whenever you please, it is the right to keep your on-campus dorm the following year. Such is the reason we must move off campus.

We started the search earlier this week and saw a place Wednesday night that was within our budget but completely unappealing. The entrance was around the back of a house and the inside looked very small. Not cozy small, but typical cheap college dorm small. It also had no laundry. I feel confident that with effort we can do much better. On monday we have an appointment to see an apartment through Campus Habitat. These places are cool because they're completely furnished and include all utilities, but we're not sure yet what the catch is. The one place we're seeing is near the top of our budget, but still within it. The only reason we don't have high hopes is because it also doesn't have laundry available, which is bothersome. But we'll see. Maybe when we get face-to-face with someone we can tell them more of what we're looking for and see what else they have available.

We're worried that we might have been spoiled by the guys' on-campus apartment and Matt and Katie's places, which are all fairly large and a steal for the price. We set our budget around what we'd expect to pay for on-campus housing next year and are not sure that we can get a real homey place for the money. I guess we'll have to just wait and see what turns up and hope we can luck into something sweet.

1 comment:

  1. Eri I'm so glad you posted a new entry! I'm sure you guys will find a place and it will be awesome to live off campus last year. you'll be like an actual adult. I can't wait to see what you find

    ReplyDelete