Friday, November 14, 2008

Unfair

Are professors allowed to change the syllabus three quarters of the way through the semester? My economics class is supposed to have 4 tests and an optional final, which is pretty standard for any introductory humanities class. This morning the professor announced that he decided to combine the 3rd and 4th tests into one and have that exam on the day our final is schedules for so that he could spend every remaining class teaching. You've got to be kidding me. This class just went from having 5 exams to 3. I didn't do as well as I hoped to on the second exam but I wasn't that worried about it because at the time it was worth only 20%. Now it's suddenly 33.3%?! You can't do that. I was expecting three more opportunities to improve my grade, and now I'll only have one! If each test is really worth 1/3 of our grade, then I need to get a 100% on the last test to get a B. I emailed the professor to ask how he's calculating grades and if there is any way I can improve mine, but I have a feeling he is going to respond with his usual "I don't have a formula, it depends how everybody does". I friggin hate this guy. To avoid getting an unnecessary C or D calculated into my GPA, I might take a Pass/Fail grade and retake this another semester. I'm so angry.

2 comments:

  1. that's not right. he shouldn't be allowed to do that. there has to be some compromise so that all of his students don't get screwed. don't take a pass/fail. maybe you should talk to some of your classmates and approach the teacher as a group?

    ReplyDelete
  2. No one else seemed as outraged as me. I feel like I'm the only one getting screwed. He responded to my email with a predictably vague answer regarding the weight of the last test and told me to seek extra help if I needed it. I understand everything, I just don't test well with his multiple choice and getting tutored won't change that. I'm so frustrated. If I had known at the beginning of the semester that my entire grade would be three exams I would have dropped it and taken it with a better professor.

    ReplyDelete