Thursday, September 25, 2008

I need chicken soup

Today isn't going well. Warning: This is not going to be a happy entry. Warning: Stop reading here.

I have come to the conclusion that there is no correlation between how early I start my comp sci homework and when I finish. Every week I start it the day it's posted and every week it takes me forever to get through it. Don't misunderstand me when I say I'm starting to hate this class. I still like computer science. I still enjoy learning about it and am looking forward to learning more and getting better at it. However, I HATE these assignments. I get it that we're covering many topics that can be challenging and it's necessary for the assignments to test our understanding of them, but is it necessary to assign a project that tests a particularly difficult topic compounded with several other topics that are tedious and time consuming to write? This week's assignment tested our knowledge of memory allocation. Ok, fine. But did the assignment need to require us to display our knowledge of memory allocation through a class structure that requires 11 (yes 11) separate member functions? This happens every week. I spend so much time getting through what seems to be the bulk of the homework, go to office hours on Thursdays to get help with a few errors, only to find out upon submitting the assignment to the server that I have an undetectable memory leak. What?? I can't find it, my TA couldn't find it, and the more I look at my code all I see is that everything is correct. Last year compsci1 had homework help sessions for the easiest projects, and this year the only resource is TA office hours the day the homework is due. Seriously?

I have my first exam in economics tomorrow. The professor said he'd post a backtest on te website, but he's technologically retarded and instead posted a log of the past things he has posted. Shoot me in the face.

To make matters worse, my 'h' key sticks.

No comments:

Post a Comment