Today I put some of the finishing touches on my room. When the real finishing touches are complete I will post more pictures. Yesterday we went to Walmart to get all the stuff we forgot. By "we" I mean almost everyone from our Nason group last year, to the point that we took three cars. I bought another powerstrip to conquer my electronic overload, printer paper that I forgot to take from Dad before leaving home, and kitchen cleaner to clean the microwave I recently inherited from Lauren. It was used and dirty, left in her apartment by the previous occupant. She, of course, bought a new one, but I wasn't too proud to clean up and use a free microwave even though I'm right next to the kitchen. So I now have my TV on top of my fridge, and my microwave and coffee maker on a shelf above it. Taking Kara's suggestion, I moved my fan to my desk in place of the TV to save space. Today we went to Home Depot because Sarah and I were distraught with the fact that our rooms didn't come with a mirror like last year. So I bought a good size one for $20 and had Nick hang it over my dresser in the corner by my door. Taking into account the fact that he mounted it using a pocket knife (boyscout), it looks pretty level and centered. The other thing I bought is a second set of plastic drawers to use as both a nightstand and a storage unit for toiletries. It serves its purpose well. In addition to the mirror, I hung the rest of my posters and the room is coming together great.
Tonight I hung out at Lauren's apartment with her and Pete and was witness to it finally becoming a livable space. For the first few days of school she and her mom spent every waking hour assembling Ikea furniture and subsequently sleeping in a hotel for lack of bed. Her mom left last night and while her apartment is still horribly messy, it's not much worse than her dorm room last year. Void of cable TV or internet, we spent the evening talking about summer and classes and jobs and traveling. I then taught Lauren how to make pasta. Seriously.
omg your room sounds awesome! i can't wait to see pictures.
ReplyDeletei'm going home this weekend but sadly you won't be there. would it be awful if i didn't visit camilla at all?
camilla won't even be at the store on the weekend. you're safe.
ReplyDelete