Sunday, October 21, 2007

So, since I have been nagged relentlessly by Kara, Mom, Dad, and even Nana, to update my blog, I figured it was about time. This past weekend was parents' weekend here at RPI. Mom and Dad came Friday evening and I took them around campus and showed them where all my classes and activites take place. Activites, as you know are not really any kinds of clubs or anything, but more along the lines of where I get my coffee in the morning. We ate the campus dinner provided for family weekend which was mediocre as expected, and then went up to Crossgates in search of a winter jacket. After many unsuccessful attempts at finding one small enough for me, we left with this: http://www.oldnavy.com/browse/product.do?cid=5448&pid=529382 which I love. Mom and Dad also brought me my old winter jacket from home, so hopefully I will never be cold!
I came back to the dorm that night to find all of my friends consumed by Halo III which is a videogame that basically eats your soul. It came out maybe a month ago and since RPI is comprised entirely of either nerds or nerds in disguise, they have all succumbed to its addicting properties. I refuse to. Instead, I spend the evening with my friends Lauren and Pete watching weird videos on the internet like "Will it Blend" http://www.willitblend.com/videos.aspx?type=unsafe&video=novell and other mildly amusing things.

Yesterday, Mom, Dad and I went on an Aquaduck Tour of Albany and Troy, which was very interesting. I learned the history of Uncle Sam (a real person), who worked as a meat packer in Troy during the War of 1812. He was given the nickname Uncle Sam, by soldiers joking that the U.S. stamped on their barrels of meat were the initals of their meat supplier, Sam Wilson. Unfortunately, this information was not part of the tour, this was relayed to me by Dad who looked it up on his phone during the tour. Gotta love technology. Afterwards, we went to downtown Troy and walked around for a bit. We got fallafel and looked around all the antique shops, which was a lot of fun. As per my request, we went to a really nice steakhouse for dinner. It was amazing. That's all I can say.
Last night I stayed in and watched the sox game and played some pool. I was very excited by the 12-2 win, not only because the sox are awesome, but also because now Dad can go to the game tonight! I am also very pumped for the fact that Mom and Dad are buying a pool table for the bonus room. By the time I leave RPI, I swear I will be good at pool.
The majority of today's remaining time will be devoted to homework. I will try to update more often and also take pictures. Wouldn't want to lose my readers :)

4 comments:

  1. i like your winter jacket. i also could go for some steak.

    and just a minor suggestion, you should learn some basic html coding so that you can link words instead of including entire hyperlinks in your posts. am i being too anal?

    ReplyDelete
  2. maybe you can teach me some html coding?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kara, you're definately being too anal! Must be spending too much time developing web pages. ;)

    Eri, nice history lesson. Can't believe you left out Johnny Appleseed!

    Love, Mom

    ReplyDelete
  4. if you update your blog i will come home tuesday.

    ReplyDelete