I realize I've had a lack of blog entries for almost the entirety of my summer so far, so here it is. Here's the big update:
No really, that was it. My lack of blogging can be accounted for by my lack of things to blog about. My summer so far has consisted of working pretty much full time at the cell phone store. Today I sold two phones, and rearranged all the display models to better feature the phones that are most profitable for us to sell. I also updated all our price tags that have not been changed in months. It was a very productive day. Aside from that, I've occupied dead hours at the store by reading. Kara reccommended Brave New World, which I really liked and got me back into a book phase. Next I read Fight Club, which was even better than the very intriguing movie made based on the book. Right now I'm reading a book called Survivor by Chuck Palaniuk, the same author who wrote Fight Club. It's about the last remaning survivor of this Creedish death cult whose members all committed suidice for their religion ten years prior to when the book takes place. The story is told in the first person by this man, who has hijacked a plane to crash and kill himself and is dictating his life and the events leading up to his suicide into the black box of the plane. It's written really well and I always like finding a new author to read.
Other than that, I'm really looking forward to Israel. I don't think it has quite set in, but talk to me in two weeks and I'll be on the edge of my seat. Kara made a facebook group to meet other people from our bus, and ten or so people joined. Somehow, they all happen to be from Washington. Go figure.
ISRAEL!!!!!
ReplyDeleteErin -- Some great picks to add to your book list and good airplane reads.....
ReplyDeleteThe Handmaids Tale: -- A sci-fi feminist nightmare -- but one of my favorite authors who writes beautifully -- lots to think about with many current day warnings to consider.
Middlesex: -- Historical saga that begins in Greece and intersects a slew of ambiguous identity and sexuality issues -- it reads like an engrossing movie -- really hard to put down -- last semester, one of my students said it read like a really great meal -- seriously! I think it might be my favorite book.
The Glass Castle: -- A memoir about growing up with really insane parents and living life on the edge of survival.
Egalia's Daughters: Another sci fi gender bender -- but an engrossing, absorbing read that’s hard to put down.
Love,
Aunt Barb
ahhh Erin!!! listen to your aunt!! haha, i LOVE Middlesex AND The Glass Castle... they are both fantastic reads.
ReplyDeletealso...read more vonnegut!!
-jenn