As usual, I suck at blogging. I really only do it when I'm here, at the library taking a break from insane amounts of math. I just finished my diffeq homework, and the only problem I couldn't solve was one that involved a cubic polynomial because I forget how to factor them, which seems to happen too often in that class. I understand the differential equation and how to solve it, but I get stuck on elementary algebra because I just haven't done it in so long. Now all that is left on my to-do list is a few problems for my other math class that I need to teach myself. I would have gotten help, but my TA blew off his office hours today, which pissed me off a little.
In a few weeks I have to register for classes for next semester. At this point I'm pretty sure I'm either going to do computer science or IT, both of which would be cool. Basically the difference is that computer science focuses more on software and technology and IT focuses on applications of it. I met with my adviser on Monday and received little advice. Since I'm undeclared, I randomly got assigned a physics professor as an adviser, and consequently he can't tell me much about any other subject. Nearly every question I asked was answered with "I'm going to give you my biased opinion." Great. Just what I wanted. Ideally I'm going to try to set up a meeting with an adviser for each of these departments to get some better information.
The part that sucks about both of these majors is that I can really only take two technical classes next semester because I won't meet the prerequisite for any of the later ones, which means I have two open credits to fill. I think I'm going to fill one of them with IT in History and Society, which is a required Humanities course for the IT curriculum. Hopefully, this will give me a feel for IT as well as fill one of my Humanities requirements that I have to fill regardless of my major. I'm undecided on how to fill the other credit. I could take another Psych course for the hell of it because it would fill a requirement and put me halfway towards a minor. Or I could explore another concentration to pair with IT, such as finance and take an accounting course. In the IT department you pick a concentration to learn computer applications of and take electives in that field, so taking a class like this would give me a feel for finance which I think would be interesting, but does not fill any requirement unless I end up choosing it. Registration is annoying. Any thoughts are appreciated.
Dear Erin,
ReplyDeleteHope all is well with you, and we’re all very excited about seeing you and Kara and your parents in May.
Hey, just a couple of thoughts in reading your blog: Definitely seek out/talk to a faculty member in each of those two departments. That totally sucks that you have a Physics guy as an advisor -- I hate how that all works!!! Second -- a REALLY important question: Should you choose to go further, which major best sets you up for graduate work -- or -- are they both equal in this regard. I'm just wondering if IT is considered less scholarly than CSC -- this is a good admissions question to explore if you did -- at some point -- want to go on to graduate school.
Hey -- for electives -- take a Women and Gender Studies course. OK -- that’s totally biased – but fascinating stuff!
Love,
Aunt Barb
I would really consider the finance/IT connection.
ReplyDeleteerin erin, so smart.
ReplyDeletedefinitely go and talk to each department. when i was questioning my major, everyone was no help until i actually went to the department i was interested in. and then i became hooked.
second... i definitely agree with your aunt... take a women and gender course!!! so interesting.
ps...when you begin making millions.. don't forget me. ;)
-jenn
If you're taking votes, chalk one up for IT. My gut feel is that Comp Sci is more post grad or research focused, more geeky and, most importantly, their website sucks! Inexcusable for a technology major. IT sounds more business and problem-solving focused. And it allows you to pick a concentration like finance or another area of interest. Of course, I'm totally biased, since that was my major too.
ReplyDeleteIf you're taking votes, chalk one up for IT. My gut feel is that Comp Sci is more post grad or research focused, more geeky and, most importantly, their website sucks! Inexcusable for a technology major. IT sounds more business and problem-solving focused. And it allows you to pick a concentration like finance or another area of interest. Of course, I'm totally biased, since that was my major too.
ReplyDeleteLove, Mom.